Saturday 26 March 2016

A confession


Once again, apologies for not posting sooner. Been very busy with commissions. That said, I have had some downtime to think about new projects. Top of my wishlist was Napoleonics, despite this being a period which I've always avoided when it comes to collecting and painting. As I sat surrounded by ever increasing lead and plastic mountains, I've always told myself I'm not in too deep since I've avoided the Napoleonic period. Yes, I have my hobby under control! I'm not hoarding ridiculous quantities of unpainted miniatures because none of them belong to that beastly era. And no, I'll never buy or paint them - that way lies madness. Trouble is, its become increasingly evident to myself that I've been living a lie. I actually do play Napoleonics using my friends 15mm collections, and to add insult to injury, they are usually hugely enjoyable games. In fact, some of the best games we have. Damn, I really want a Napoleonic army! Even worse, I can't help but admire Napoleon.

So, where to start? My first decision was to be sensible, and to that end, I've settled on the cheapest and easiest to paint option - the excellent range of 3mm Napoleonics by Oddzial Osmy. They offer the potential to recreate the grande scale of Napoleonic battles. My second decision was to find out more about the period, and to that end, I stumbled on the Napoleon 101 Podcast by Cameron Reilly and David Markham. I've been listening to the freely available episodes whilst painting, and I'm enjoying them greatly whilst learning lots of new stuff. Admittedly, I know next to nothing about the period, but the podcast seems a good intro. Check it out:

http://napoleonbonapartepodcast.com/#section-about.

I'll let you know how I get on with my foray into Napoleonics, but in the meantime I'll leave you with an image of the man who still seems to divide opinion like no other.

No comments:

Post a Comment